Wednesday, February 22, 2012

veggie lo mein

Well, the first attempt, without a recipe, making it up as I go along, was not horrible.  In fact, Carly had two helpings and Cooper liked it but didn't want to eat it again.  I'll take it.

This is what I did:

Start a pot of water boiling for the spaghetti noodles (I used Trader Joe's brown rice spaghetti).  At the same time heat garlic olive oil in a skillet and add red onion, carrots, red bell peppers, and scallions.
Photo Courtesy of Cooper

When the water boils add the pasta and cook until al dente, about 4 minutes.  At the same time add broccoli, kale, and cabbage to the other veggies.
Photo Courtesy of Cooper
I added ladles of pasta water to steam the veggies and a couple splashes of tamari (gluten-free soy sauce).  Once the pasta was done I removed it from the water with a slotted spoon and added it to the veggies.  My pasta stuck together and I didn't like the way it was turning out.  While my pasta water was still hot I added more noodles and cooked until al dente.  When it was ready I drained and rinsed it then added it to a hot saute pan with more garlic olive oil.  These noodles crisped up a bit which was the texture I wanted.  I added these noodles to the pasta & veggie skillet.  I tossed them with a fork and topped with cilantro.
Photo Courtesy of Cooper




It was good.  It did not satisfy my craving for Chinese food and I realized I need some kind of sauce.  I guess it's back to the drawing board.  Stay tuned.

Thanks, Cooper, for helping me make dinner and for taking great pictures!


No comments:

Post a Comment